If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: v1.0.1.5  (Read 655 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
    • View Profile
    • Jon Shafer on Design
v1.0.1.5
« on: May 17, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
v1.0.1.5 is now up in the unstable branch. It wraps up a major batch of changes to the caravan to help make it easier to use, more strategically relevant, and better-balanced.

Additionally, the unstable build should now work for Mac and Linux. I'm seeing an issue on my Mac where the first time I try to launch the game after updating to v1.0.1.5 or after switching from the default branch to unstable it locks up my whole system and I have to do a hard reset. This doesn't happen for me on Windows, and I’ve heard from someone that things were okay for them on Linux. Is anyone else on Mac (or Linux) seeing this on their end?

Save compatibility has been broken by today’s new unstable build (v1.0.1.5). This will happen rarely, probably with each major update (v1.1, v1.2, v1.3) but I’ll try to keep this to an absolute minimum. Sometimes it’s necessary in order to replace existing systems and in this case the way the caravan works is so fundamentally different it would have taken several additional days of work to both make the new changes and allow old games to be continued. From now on you can use the ‘unstable_old’ beta branch to continue playing with the last version uploaded before save compatibility has been broken, just in case you want to finish up an ongoing game before upgrading.

The plan is for v1.1 to be posted next Friday (assuming no major bugs pop up and I can figure out why the game is locking up my Mac after updating). The big changes in v1.1 compared with the last main branch update (v1.0.1) are related to food consumption, economic balance, and the caravan and on the whole the early game is now much tougher. v1.2 is planned for late June and will focus on making the Romans a bit more interesting and tackling a few quality of life issues (specifically, improving a few of the screens). v1.3 is planned for later this year and will tackle the AI and diplomacy. In the meantime weekly builds will continue to be uploaded to the unstable branch every Friday.

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at contact@conifergames.com. Thanks for your support!

Re: v1.0.1.5
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »
Been playing this beta version and it is a lot better and very challenging overall, I say anyone who was waiting for update give this version a try! well done Jon, keep up the good work :) So far I've made it to 18 clans once playing as slavs, before starvation sits in. Seems to be no room for any mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:09:32 PM by tcmots »

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
    • View Profile
    • Jon Shafer on Design
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
Glad you're enjoying the game more tcmots! The core game loop is a lot more fun now so my focus going forward will be more on the midgame.

Also, I'm still tracking down the Mac issue so I'm pushing v1.1 to next week. v1.1 will be identical to what's currently up in the unstable branch (v1.0.1.5), except for maybe a couple small tweaks to caravan balance so feel free to play that in the meantime.

I'm also working on a new system which will make the Romans much more prominent in the midgame. I should have something fun to play around with on that front in a couple weeks.

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at contact@conifergames.com. Thanks for your support!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »
Well Jon after multiple playthroughs, i'm thinking this might be nigh on impossible!! Going to take a pause and try to think what I might be doing wrong, but for one thing If I train enough to try keep up food resources then bandits intervene. If I train enough clans to stop the bandits we starve. this is after multiple restarts to get the best possible starting positions. I do believe this game has lots of potential.

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
    • View Profile
    • Jon Shafer on Design
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
It's definitely tough! Probably too much so, but in this first draft set of numbers I wanted to err on the side of making things tough as in many ways v1.0 was too easy. :) I'll be playtesting myself and tweaking the numbers a lot though. Ideally I'd like to have some difficulty levels settings which allow players to choose how tough a challenge they really want, as right now I'm basically trying to stump myself, and when the designer has trouble with a game most players are going to be in trouble as well!

- Jon

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
2 very important things I've learned from playing version 1.0.1.5!  First, no matter what food resources you set up, your clan growth always outpaces your food resources. secondly, the caravan is now no longer food helpful no matter how much gold you have. Going from 12 clans to 18 is now nearly always a catastrophe, though I assume their might be some hidden strategy I'm missing! I am really having a lot of fun trying to figure this out!!