If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: near end game  (Read 591 times)

near end game
« on: February 08, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »
if anyone's interested in a great end game ready save, I have attached mine.  I focused on high wealth generation and high value items for sale (war horses and wine). 

game's not won yet.  will take some time and just clicking to get there .
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:04:31 PM by clayffo »

Re: near end game
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:21 AM »

Hi Clayffo,

Many thanks for posting such an interesting endgame where indeed your position is utterly overwhelming.

The things that interest me most are how you got so many clans and how you've kept them all happy in the settlement.

I presume you must have had several patrons and maybe sculptors in the settlement at some stage and also captured quite a lot of units.
(I gather that once you reach 72 clans, trying to increase the limit crashes the game - is this still the case?)

Obviously once a couple of coinmakers are up then the economy is stable but it must still have been a real undertaking tuning it so well.

With so many bods in the settlement, I guess you'll always have a crime preventer and some mood enhancers (I don't know offhand which these are precisely but believe that intimidating are the former and eloquent the latter - are there other traits that have the same effect?

I see that several clans have lost presumably obnoxious traits so presume that you had an instructor while you were sorting it all out. And I also noticed that a lot of the guys are ennobled.  Is that the simplest way to improve their mood when alcohol fails?

Cheers,

Jon

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 03:48:10 AM »
Some things I have never known before. Until coming to know from all of you

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 03:30:25 AM »
Actually, you should have better questions.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
hi Jon_speelman

sorry i haven't been on this forum in forever.   I also haven't played the game in a few months but i'll reply as best as i can.

I presume you must have had several patrons and maybe sculptors in the settlement at some stage and also captured quite a lot of units.
(I gather that once you reach 72 clans, trying to increase the limit crashes the game - is this still the case?)

Last time i played, which was when 1.2 came out, you could exceed the cap by capturing clans after you hit the natural recruitment cap.  what i would do is i would guard white settlements from barbarians, but not cap them.  I would only capture computer player clans.  once i hit 72 i would go in and cap from there.  Some times the game crashed when i did this, sometimes not.  i got one game up to 96 clans

Obviously once a couple of coinmakers are up then the economy is stable but it must still have been a real undertaking tuning it so well.

Money sucks for probably at least 150 turns, maybe more.  There's not a good way to make money until you either make a money crop (such as wine or war horses) or make a couple coinmakers.  The traders are shockingly terrible at making money, even when upgraded and boosted with the camp honor skill (don't remember the name).  Even early on you're better of making any kind of resell item.  The key with the caravan is to buy stuff u need, then sell stuff you don't to keep the cash on hand a the caravan adequate.

With so many bods in the settlement, I guess you'll always have a crime preventer and some mood enhancers (I don't know offhand which these are precisely but believe that intimidating are the former and eloquent the latter - are there other traits that have the same effect?

this is part of the trick with this game.  you need to establish good people in the camp.  always need someone who has the "cannot commit a crime" trait.  also need intimidation and moral booster traits.  sometimes i would keep someone in camp, even though i had no job for them, just for these purposes.  Eventually i would train them up when possible.

later in the game once you get regular parchment, just strip off all the bad traits on everyone.  This eliminates all but the most egregious RNG mishaps from happening.

i do enobling for 3 primary reasons.  The first and most obvious is for job requirements.  the second is to improve moral and productivity (happier people have a better production multiplier).  The final reason is just to speed up the training process.  if you enoble while training a trade (such as honor) you  get +1 for the training and +3 for the enoble, which is +1 more than enobling without training; and higher skill ppl train jobs faster.

i also keep one person nearby of each trade type for the purposes of swapping out, if there are fights.  i try to make apprentices for wood, mine and farming.  I will keep either an explorer or surveyor within 20 squares if i don't have an apprentice trader.  have them scout or watch after the white camps.

finally, if you have someone that keeps committing crimes or has horrible traits, have them do something that is not production oriented and not in camp.  angry people can do some jobs despite their attitude for some reason.  these jobs include explorer, surveyor, boat driver, warrior (if not part of a group), trader, and watchman. 

The warrior won't engage in fighting while super pissed, but he will defend himself.  it's not hard to bait the computer into fights so you just sit him next to their camp and wait.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
The truth is that this deserves a tutorial in which you teach us many techniques, I still do not believe the 96 clans. It's obvious that you did it after the game blocked you or something like that, but there are many questions that are sure to air many around here. I recommend you to make a blog or a web in which you talk about everything you've achieved within the game, about techniques that have worked for you, when you mention that "you need to establish good people in the camp" and that is the trick of the game can be squeezed more, that is, I'm sure you can explain it better to everyone, especially new and thus grow. I hope you encourage yourself to do this.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 05:32:18 PM »
hi Cristo,

I am waiting on 1.3 before adding more content to this or the steam forums.  The game is in such an unpredictable state as it is since it launched incomplete and 1.3 is supposed to be a big step forward.  it's hard to say though since Jon has gone back to his old ways of not talking to us. 

I think a best practices tutorial would be a good idea once i have some time on 1.3