If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: Animals  (Read 917 times)

Marko

• Hear Marko Roar
    • View Profile
Animals
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:30:50 AM »
Could we list the mechanics concerning animal herds in this place?
The 'foraging' mechanic (for meat, parchment, or cloth) is clear, the turns are given, and the resource is eventually depleted. What about the pasture mechanics (not possible with deer) - results, consequences, stockpiling, depletion? I'm curious about all the game rules involved.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:51:00 AM by Marko »

Re: Animals
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 03:06:45 AM »
I'll give it a shot...

Foraging
Foraging can be done with either a Hunter or a Trapper.
Foraging with Hunter: depletes the herd, gives Meat. Number of animals is number of turns this can be done.

Foraging with Trapper: depletes the herd, gives Cloth or Patchment. Number of animals is number of turns this can be done.

Ranching
With a Rancher you have two options.
Pastures: The "wood" version. This adds the number of animals to your stockpile. All animals (of that type) you already owned get added to the herd on that tile if it is your first Pasture/Ranch, or equalized is you have more Pastures/Ranches of the same type of animal. Pastures don't give any new animals on their own.

Ranches: The "stone" version. This adds the number of animals to your stockpile. All animals (of that type) you already owned get added to the herd on that tile if it is your first Pasture/Ranch, or equalized is you have more Pastures/Ranches of the same type of animal. Ranches provide +1 animal per turn.

Shepherds
A Shepherd in your Settlement will add +1 animal per turn to each Pasture/Ranch you own.

What does it mean
The amount of animals in your stockpile corresponds to the herdsize of the Pastures/Ranches you own. If you have animals in your stockpile without the corresponding Pasture/Ranch.. well i presume they wander around in your settlement :)
After building a Pasture or Ranch it is still possible to deplete the resource by consuming more animals then are bred.
For example... for sustainable Parchment making with a Parchment Maker (6 Patchment for 1 animal per turn), you either need a Ranch (which gives +1 animal per turn) or a Pasture and a Shepherd (+1 animal from the Shepherd). Giving the Parchment Maker his two upgrades will improve the amount of Parchment gained per animal (a total of 12 Parchment per 1 animal with both upgrades).

Note: All Butchers/Parchment makers/Vellum makers etc. will always first take Pigs to use, then Cows, then Sheep, then Horses and lastly Warhorses. This is the order noted in the tooltip too...

Hope it helps!

Marko

• Hear Marko Roar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Thank you :) it sure does help.

Some follow-up questions, then. Is it possible to completely exterminate a herd when you have built a ranch, or trained a shepherd? If you reach 0, will they grow back to 1 in both setups?
If yes, it looks like the difference between a wooden and a stone structure is not that prominent in the case of animals - only a +1 growth bonus for the stone block one, but the usual big bonus (depletion prevention) can be achieved regardless of the structure type. Or am I missing something?

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »
No once a herd is reduced to 0 animals it disappears of the map... same as other resources which are exhausted. So it is a good idea with a trapper for example not to kill the last animal but tell him to stop. Or retrain a Parchment maker before he kills of the last animal. That way the resource stays on the map to be later used (as a Ranch for example in case of the trapper) and slowly grow it back.

I do believe that if you already had build a Pasture/Ranch and then kill of the last animal it stays on the map as a structure, just an idle one... So perhaps buying some animals later from the caravan can also be a way to "repopulate" the herd... 

Marko

• Hear Marko Roar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 01:27:59 AM »
Cool, thanks. Once more a mechanic that I like :)