If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: Few observation after first game.  (Read 769 times)

Few observation after first game.
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
First of all congratulations Jon on releasing this game, it stands out from other 4x/civlike games.
After finishing first game (5 legions for eastern empire) and knowledge from setting file that i played on tutorial map i have few observations.

cons:
Food is not a problem as it should be. Food from caravan is bugged (one unit of meat give one unit of food (feeds whole kingdom for one turn)). Also three clans (butcher, rancher, engineer) can feed pretty much whole population of 'in game europe'. I've reached 96,88% spoilage rate.
Production scaling, like in butcher example it goes to pretty much everything not related to metal. Getting +50 of any material is simply and require two-three clans. It result in overproduction of everything.
Caravans have unlimited amount of gold and with overproduction I've finished game with 110k gold, i should be able to build my own Rome with such amount of gold.
There was nothing to threat my existence after establishing basic production, i just had to click 150+ more turn to get materials, produce legions and secure win.

pros:
This game is fresh.
One city, clans management, resource production and processing its all very appealing.
Over-complexity (as some steam review calls it)
Hagia Sophia from win screen have no minarets, finally a graphic designer with knowledge!!!

summary:
Game lacks balance, have problems with UI and lacks some quality of life improvements. But its a great one, and will be better with time :)

Re: Few observation after first game.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »
Difficulty levels would be a godsend, even just increasing the food consumption rate by some flat amount (once the caravan food issue is fixed) would be a simple and effective solution. The more I have to work to feed my clans, the less of everything else I am able to do. Seems like this may be easy enough to tinker with in the XMLs though? (I’ve looked at them but not touched yet, so I’m not sure)

(For the caravan, I’d have it continue to sell food but scale the cost to the consumption rate. If you consume 15, then the caravan charges you 15x for one turn of food! Seems simplest and most user friendly)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
I have a similar idea like that of masterdinadan. I observed that, in my save, the food doesn't scale up as much as the caravan's sold food does. The caravan's food is enough for one turn per food item, whereas farming 15 food items still had me stuck in famine.
*added* -> Note that it seems like food items do not go into the stockpile. The game is not entirely unit based, so sometimes there is a multiplier that ruins the economy. In other words, the game is not balanced.

*added* I counted a little on it, and I found out that 18.9 apples (or something) gave me 0.5 less food reduction. Also, I never get the food to begin with so it's just slightly reducing a very small amount to begin with. I would rather have 18.9 apples than 18.9 food, and I would also rather have 18.9 food than 0.5 food.

*disclaimer* I know that this is just a request for more features. Features in form of balance improvements.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:53:40 AM by ToXeye »

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
I do think what your food situation is could be clearer - where it's coming from, where it's going, what you have.  I don't necessarily need it to appear that way on the lefthand side, but the mouse over doesn't seem to give me the information I'm looking for either - or, if it does, it doesn't do it clearly.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure the food situation just needs to be added as an input to the current equation hence effecting the percentage growth or loss instead of the turns available. Also I think less food should be available of caravans. I would limit a clans capacity to by food as a percentage of what they already have on hand and this should rarely and only in fall caravans exceed 10 percent of the current flow through out put of the equation. OK, I'm not a math guy but you see what I mean. With regard to herds, a player should only rarely be able to purchase more than 2% of their current herd size up to an occasional 5% with great luck. And herd growth needs to be slowed significantly given the time scale of the game and if more than 10% of the total herd size is sold herd growth should start to drop dramatically. If necessary increase buy and sell costs to make things work.

It would be interesting to have a haggle feature in the game that can sometimes decrease the total of a purchase or sale and the game should have a memory of this effecting sales, gouging and even availability in future caravans.