Author Topic: 2013 September 23 - New Art Style (Sneak Peek)  (Read 6248 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
2013 September 23 - New Art Style (Sneak Peek)
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »
Just a quickie today. I wanted to give you guys a taste of the new, more painterly art style we're shifting AtG over to:

Kudos should be forwarded along to our art director 'Fox' on her amazing work!

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Re: 2013 September 23 - New Art Style (Sneak Peek)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:44:29 AM »
Interesting. Will need to see how it works with the units in game.
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »
Looks nice. Conveys a more wistful, nostalgic look.

Pulling it apart it looks like there's a hex-based patch placed for base terrain in order from back to front, then rivers drawn on, then terrain features (trees etc.).  I like the way the patches bleed out into other regions as this gives a more natural look to the borders between different terrain types. The size of the trees may also help give a 1/2 way point between the scale of the landscape and the scale of the units to be placed on top.

This method might have some limitations though. The trees directly to the left of the mountain range seem to naturally sit on top of the mountain shoulder, but if there were trees placed onto the swamp patch directly above the mountain they may accidentally look like they are growing out of the mountain rather than being behind it (due to the implied viewing angle). This can also be seen with the river tip sneaking over the mountain patch in the bottom right corner.
  • Hardware: AMD Phenom X4, 8Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce 560 @ 1680x1050

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:30:20 AM »
Very nice. It reminds me a little graphic area of the Age of Wonders I

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
Interesting. Will need to see how it works with the units in game.

The goal is that the cleaner textures overall will allow items on top of them to 'pop' more. Ultimately though, we'll continue working on the style over the next several months, so there's no way to say for sure where things end up!

Looks nice. Conveys a more wistful, nostalgic look.

Pulling it apart it looks like there's a hex-based patch placed for base terrain in order from back to front, then rivers drawn on, then terrain features (trees etc.).  I like the way the patches bleed out into other regions as this gives a more natural look to the borders between different terrain types. The size of the trees may also help give a 1/2 way point between the scale of the landscape and the scale of the units to be placed on top.

This method might have some limitations though. The trees directly to the left of the mountain range seem to naturally sit on top of the mountain shoulder, but if there were trees placed onto the swamp patch directly above the mountain they may accidentally look like they are growing out of the mountain rather than being behind it (due to the implied viewing angle). This can also be seen with the river tip sneaking over the mountain patch in the bottom right corner.

Yeah, there are a few quirks we'll have to work out. The same issue exists for trees. We also plan on redoing the beaches. Not a final look by any means, but one that's much closer than what we showed off back when we announced the game.

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!