If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: General tips - No House Rules  (Read 209 times)

General tips - No House Rules
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
Famine and resources running out are the two big things, but there's also just a sense of needing so many things that I can't really progress.  Like I tread water for a bit and am even comfortable, but I have no real way of getting cloth and, suddenly, I'm out of food again. 

Wanted to split this thread out to give a bit more visibility.  This could probably be a longer guide but here are just a couple tips off the top of my head.  You can take advantage of the caravan bug (fix coming in mid-March) to learn the basics.

• Gatherers, Reapers and Hunters should be able to fill your food needs for the first couple years.  After that, you can focus them into farming and honor roles not based around food because the caravan should be able to provide everything you need for food.
  • The caravan currently will sell all food items for 3 gold each and then convert each unit of food into a turn.  So to feed your people, you will need to be making an average of 36 gold/year through selling to the caravan and other means.  Even just selling wood at the bargain basement price of 2 gold each only needs 18 units to be able to afford the food.  In the first couple of years, you will want to upgrade the caravan to guarantee some food items in most shipments. Once this gets patched, you'll want to be looking for efficient sources of food like fish in the midgame and butchers in the late game backed up by a shepherd or stone pastures.  Also the food multiplier professions are great.  The baker especially gets value because there is always so many wheat sources.
  • Also, use your starting money to buy the 5 weapons that come with the first caravan.  You can train 1 archer which is usually enough to fend off roving bandits. Don't take on entrenched bandit camps until you have 2 archers.  Early game it's too difficult to heal so you need overwhelming force. If your starting location has 3 or more bandit camps nearby, starting packing up and moving slowing away from them.  They won't spawn roving armies for some time and one archer should still be enough to defend if your workers and settlement are far enough away.
  • Be very cautious when expanding the number of clans or declaring a kingdom.  It seems to me that you can do both long before you should and especially declaring a kingdom is usually a trap.
  • The economic goal is to get stone buildings on iron, stone and forest.  If you get that and one additional resource, you should be able to manipulate the caravan by selling any excess to buy whatever you need.  Then you can either slowly expand your resource gathering so that you don't need as much from the caravan or start focusing on one of the victory conditions.
  • You'd mentioned cloth specifically.  A fully upgraded caravan will always have either flax or wool that you can buy cheap and turn into cloth.  Same strategy for other items.
  • Don't worry if your economy has to pause a year or two because you run out of a specific resource.  Work with what you have, look for the next deposit near you and think about how the caravan could bail you out.

Hopefully this is helpful!  Anyone else who wants to jump in here with tips for the base game, welcome!

Re: General tips - No House Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »

Hi,

Once you're up and running, I think you should prioritise maximising knowledge and fame (while obviously having enough boys to defend yourself) and then beeline towards coin making. These yield a huge amount of wealth as long as you have a supply of coal and completely transform the economy. In the game I'm now playing I got the first coin maker in Sept 406 and now have two. With uppgrades, they yield over 700 gold a turn which  means basically that you can buy a complete caravan if you like three times a year. Arguably they are over powered but at the moment they are wonder units (If anybody here plays galciv3 it's like the transformation you achieve when you get tourism and "easy to please".)

Cheers,

Jon