If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: Mountain rangesd, streams and finding the Romans  (Read 169 times)

Mountain rangesd, streams and finding the Romans
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:50:36 AM »

Hi,

In my second proper game as the Goths I got the economy stabilised about move 160 odd (Sept 406) with my first coin maker and now have 2 coin makers and a source of coal which means I can clean the caravans out completely rather than think.  (nearly +500 gold per turn - incidentally while it's nice to have so much aren't coin makers a bit over powered?)

I guess I could win economically in 120 turns by sending bods to Rome but I tried to capture a capital and sent out 9 knights to find the Romans.

I've now spent I dunno, 3 or 4 years - trying to get through mountain ranges, ford streams and avoid impassable rivers  and by over extending their moves (ie using the mouse to go too far so that they can't encamp when necc ) have got eight left, some of them badly injured who have just been cut off at the very south of the map by yet another river and an impassable mountain range:or rather the pass I now realise I should have gone through is 30 or so squares north through desert.

I realise I'm being a bit incompetent with the moves and the searching but this doesn't seem great fun and I was wondering if other people have had the same problems and what ideas they have for ameliorating them. 

Cheers,

Jon

Incidentally is there any advantage in taking out annoying neighbours. Since you can't do anything with their settlement, I haven't understood what there is to gain as long as they're  harmless if left alone?

Re: Mountain rangesd, streams and finding the Romans
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »
I've found that galleys are a huge help in exploring.  Send out a couple of those and you'll have a sense of where just about everyone is within two years.

Also, if you plan to go for a military victory, declaring a kingdom is a trap.  Your settlement can carry your whole army over water in a galley once you find your target.

Re: Mountain rangesd, streams and finding the Romans
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:54:48 AM »

Many thanks FizzyElf,

I've restarted 100(!) turns earlier and found the Romans but am currently faffing while I funnel my troops through a pass which leads to them while avoiding damage - still not great fun and a "move safely" command would certainly help though perhaps not easy to implement)

I think on this map water based exploration wouldn't help much since a huge continent with enormous NthSth mountains and little coastline but I certainly agree that you should get some boats up before declaring a kingdom if you're going to (I hadn't realised that you couldn't build boats if territory adjacent to water but settlement not: maybe a watch tower could also serve as a fortress/port to alleviate this?)

Is it allowed to take a watchman/watchmen  with you and then build a tower when necc? I used this to avoid damage when crossing a large stream but the tower was contiguous with my territory. If so is an isolated watchtower an exploit or merely helpful given the logistics?

Cheers,

Jon