If you've contributed via Kickstarter/PayPal/Humble at a level where you're entitled to private alpha test access or a Supporter badge please send Jon Shafer a private message with your email address.

Author Topic: Hard mode - suggestions welcome!  (Read 456 times)

Hard mode - suggestions welcome!
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
Hello guys,

Let's play this game on hard mode!  ;)
These are my rules for the next game. Please feel free to suggest more in the comments! 

1. No caravan at all
         You want those tools/weapons? Then go and produce them! No food? Too bad, time to die, Timmy!
         Reasoning: The game is too easy when you have surplus of 2-3 resources and sell them for stuff you cannot afford otherwise.
edit: I would allow to buy 5 pieces of parchment from the first caravan. It's a way to use starting gold and you might not have animals to skin for it.
edit2: To have an reason to use traders etc. you might want to ban SELLING to caravan and using only gold you've earned from traders and gold mines.

2. No stone buildings
         Who wants to be a king, when you can invade enemy territory and take their resources!
         Reasoning: The unpacking mechanic is too much fun to declare kingdoms. It's more interesting, when you have finite amount of resources.

3. Limit number of clans to 24
         Do you really need that rancher, after he delivered his 800 horse? Time to learn how to use that cleaver buddy, you have been re-assigned.
         Reasoning: It's more immersive when you need to re-assign that one clan during their career. It does not feel right to assign that one clan to work on a farm till
         the end of time, never seeing them again. Also it adds difficulty to the game.

4. No beelining techs, no tier 2 techs until all tier 1 techs are finished
         No, you cant build stone farm, when you cannot even build wooden lumberjack house!
         Reasoning: Again, the game is too easy when you're able to focus on one part of tech tree and feed the whole planet using stone ranches, shepherds and
         butchers, while you're not able to build basic farm or orchard.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:36:02 PM by Hriibek »

Re: Hard mode - suggestions welcome!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
Interesting idea. I like it.

I would suggest more bandit activity, more aggressive tribes that actually invade.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
I agree the game has to be harder but some of the game's charm is developing strategies on how to use the techs and the caravan. The problem right now is that this can be done too successfully.

I am going to play with no food trades (until this is fixed) and no herd purchases until a shepherd is in the camp. Sales of any surpluses in any item will be limited to 10 percent of available stocks. For now the money created by these sales can be spent to buy anything other than food sources.

I think I am going to limit the create wealth button usage to two turns after a caravan has passes. (A lot of cntr+enter)

I think the traders are nice to get you going but they provide too much gold. No stone trade outposts only wood. I am limiting myself to one wood trade post until I develop a kingdom when I can build one more. Maybe that can be a stone outpost.

I am going to limit myself to completing all the updates for a given bonus at one level before studying a tech with the same bonus at a higher level within the same discipline.

Of course all this may change if the AI becomes more aggressive.

I'm thinking about limiting the size of my standing army to one of each type of soldier. But allowing converting current workers to spearmen between June and August or when the enemy is ravaging your lands. My second option would be 3 archers, 3 spearmen and 1 of anything else.

I only pillage and do not capture assets of other nations. I think this gives them a chance to slowing come back. This does not include neutrals.

Warhorse production is a problem. No upgrades for trainers. No more than one trainer and possibly a restriction that only clans with a small number of families can do certain tasks. (I think growth in number of families should be slowed a bit but keep the difficulty of feeding the population. Maybe more events that cause plagues, famines etc that makes family growth even more luck dependent)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:53:57 PM by Lincoln »

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »
I really like the no stone buildings rule.  In my few starts without using the caravan, it's really about waiting around to collect whatever I need to get to stone buildings.  The biggest limiting factor has been oil/alcohol for me.  I've never had an issue finding animals to trap or a small iron deposit to get me started. 

I agree that it seems that like the way that the caravan and stone buildings were implemented seem to short-circuit the game.  Everything seems a bit more balanced without the caravan with interesting decisions throughout. 

I think the 24 clan rule is interesting, but not one I'm looking to try out right now.  I envision a lot more galley use to move around and totally strip mine the landscape.   40-50 clans hanging out in the settlement and then going to work.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
I'd love to get some advice from people who think this game is too easy because it hasn't been for me so far...

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 04:52:48 PM »
I'd love to get some advice from people who think this game is too easy because it hasn't been for me so far...

Happy to help out.  What have been the problems you've been running into?  Running out of food/other resources?  Clans feuding? External armies?  Something else?

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 08:56:47 PM »

Happy to help out.  What have been the problems you've been running into?  Running out of food/other resources?  Clans feuding? External armies?  Something else?

Famine and resources running out are the two big things, but there's also just a sense of needing so many things that I can't really progress.  Like I tread water for a bit and am even comfortable, but I have no real way of getting cloth and, suddenly, I'm out of food again.  The one game I had where I had sheep easily accessible led to me prioritizing cloth and I ended up getting raided by some enemies and then I was suddenly stuck with a useless territory.

Feuding clans seem to be a bit of a problem, but they've honestly been a low priority accept in times of luxury.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 01:47:54 AM »
I've played a bit with hard mode and this is what is working for me.

Regarding Treasure and the Caravan.

Starting money can be spent freely.
I never, never choose "Produce Wealth". I cntr-enter if necessary
I never sell more than 5% of any herd animals I own, and 10% of any other good. Maximum is a 100 lot.
I never buy anything that can be turned into food. Never! Otherwise, whatever I can buy with the money I have is fair game.
I only create one trading post until I declare a kingdom when I also allow myself a depot. But only 1 of each.
I have a problem with luxury good sales, steel items, and warhorses. I limit these to 5% of current stock up to a stock of 100. After I limit sales to 5 or 2% of total stock.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:44:59 AM »
I've played a bit with hard mode and this is what is working for me.

I got to turn 277 last night using Saxons with no caravan and no stone buildings.  Food was touch and go with a couple years going through with only 4 or 5 turns of food stocked.  I've finally permanently solved the issue with wooden pastures and shepherds increasing my flocks for my butcher. 

I stalled out at 24 clans for the longest time because I didn't think I could afford more.  I'm slowly working my way to 30 now but I don't think I could go past that safely.

I don't think I could have made it without the Saxon extra galley.  I moved across oceans multiple times.  Things got a little dicey on my longest voyage since we had two leprous clans at the time.

My biggest regret is swapping professions that needed tools for training too much.  My biggest limiting factor was iron.  For a victory now, I need about 600 iron to get me to the amount of steel weapons and armor that I would need for either economic or military victory and I only have 70 or 80 left to mine.  So that means I'll have to move again once we find some mineral deposits.  It's a bummer that there aren't any multiplicative professions for raw mineral generation like there are for agriculture.  Doubling iron production would have been great.

Obviously there's some map RNG involved, but my tips would be not use iron unless you really have to and that livestock professions are what's going to be able to actually feed your people over the long haul.  Be careful mining out initial herds of animals.

It really did feel like a solitaire game.  Not sure if I'll finish but the environmental challenges kept me engaged for far longer than in my other games.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 07:49:53 PM »
Hey Fizzy, Smelters double iron production across the tribe.

I haven't been limiting myself to no stone structures. I can imagine that not doing so could make the game even more difficult.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 10:19:12 AM »
I'd recommend no stone buildings more as a survival game than something to win at least at this point in my skill level. 

Thanks for the tip on smelters.  For some reason I was thinking they multiplied steel and not iron. 

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
I donít agree with limiting stone.  Iím always a fan of bigger is better. 

I have games like the one I posted in my thread that are way way excessive 80k gold, 30k wine, 10 knights fully juiced up, etc. 

This occurs because the ai is not playing, not taking resources, nor attacking.

Many of the op concerns will be solved once you have to increase your military at the expense of luxuries like ranches
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:33:18 PM by clayffo »

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Before I start playing.