Author Topic: An Apology  (Read 2763 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
An Apology
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
I'd like to apologize to everybody here on the forums who's invested their time, energy, or love into At The Gates while I've been away for the past couple years. I burned out pretty hard trying to steer the development of a hugely complex strategy game, and I know now that I bit off more than I could chew. We got most of the way there, but I hit a wall and that was pretty much it. I needed time to step away, and instead of letting everyone know this I tried to fight on, and the harder I fought the harder it became to stick with it. So I apologize to all of you for both the fact that the game has obviously been very-much delayed and also for not being honest about the situation. I should have been better about communicating what was going on, and promise to do so in the future.

Despite that, at its core AtG truly is a great strategy game, and I'm committed to putting in the time and work needed to make sure that it achieves that potential. I didn't launch this project or Conifer in order to achieve riches or glory or fame - it was in order to make something awesome, something that all of you could join in and experience as well.

So where do we go from here?

Anyone who has contributed at least $25 to the Kickstarter campaign can send me an email (contact@conifergames.com) and request a key in order to play the game right now. If you want to play the best version of AtG I would recommend holding off, but all backers deserve access at this point and will receive it if they so choose.

Additionally, I'll be providing a project update on the 1st of every month from now until we ship the game. The plan is to wrap things up by the end of August, but we may go a bit beyond that as necessary in order to finish up diplomacy and make sure that the final experience is polished enough for a full release.

This game will definitely be released in 2018 though. Diplomacy is the final major feature to go into the game, and after that we'll be focused on polish. The hat I'm wearing now is mainly that of producer, rather than that of designer - and the producer's job is to make sure the game gets done. We already have a solid foundation to work from, and it's already a great deal of fun to play. It just needs to be finished now.

If anyone has any questions or concerns I'll be happy to answer them. I'll be here and active on the forums from now on, so let me know if there's anything you need. I'll be going through my PMs over the next few days as well, and if you haven't heard anything in a few days poke me again and I'll get back to you.

Thank you to all who have contributed to and cared about AtG over the years. I know it's not always been an easy process, but we're getting close to the finish line.

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Re: An Apology
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
Thanks for getting your communication back on track Jon, it was a happy surprise today when I saw an update on the main site! I understand how hard it must have been to come to terms with a situation you didn't want to be in, and why it took you a long time to be honest with us about it; it's just great to know that you are feeling ready to finish the game now and that we can expect to have this unique game completed in 2018.
  • VERSION:  Humble
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 8.1
  • SYSTEM LANGUAGE: UK English
  • CPU: Intel i5-3470 @3.20GHz Quad Core
  • VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 660 2GB
  • SCREEN RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
That statement is pretty big of you, Jon. I wish you luck, going forward. I hope everything goes as smooth as possible. Can't wait for the game to be finished, personally.

UsF

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »
All the best with the continued development. I'll have to take another look at it now.
  • Steam
  • Windows 10 Professional
  • Germany
  • AMD Ryzen 1700
  • Nvidia GTX 1070
  • 1920 x1080

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:55:59 AM »
ck on track Jon, it was a happy surprise I'll be providing a project updat