Author Topic: Game update posted on Kickstarter page  (Read 1331 times)

Game update posted on Kickstarter page
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »
Was in a comment and probably missed...
---
Hey all,
Just wanted to update you on the latest goings-ons. AtG has obviously taken a fair bit longer than expected but we're still dedicated to finishing the game. The reason for the recent radio silence is that I've been in discussions with a partner to provide financial assistance to finally bite the bullet and hire full-time staff (in addition to just myself) to help get it out the door once. Once the deal is done and I'm contractually allowed to talk about it we'll fill you in on the details.
For anyone who's no longer interested in waiting I have no problem offering a refund of your contribution via PayPal. (As an aside, if I were a charlatan then I'm obviously not a very good one, having cashed out my retirement to pay for development!)
- Jon
Humble
Windows 7  Pro SP1
English-US
i7-4770 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB Ram
GTX 750ti
1920 x1080

Re: Game update posted on Kickstarter page
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »
Jon

If no one has been hired, then how was the 100,000 spent? Why did you continually refer to "the team" when that was clearly a lie?

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:03:04 AM »
Thanks for the update Jon. Great to hear AtG will be out soon--I stopped playing for a few months but can't wait to get into it again. It's a special game!

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:34:55 AM »
Me2, love it and kids too. Wish u had MP

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
Was in a comment and probably missed...
---
Hey all,
Just wanted to update you on the latest goings-ons. AtG has obviously taken a fair bit longer than expected but we're still dedicated to finishing the game. The reason for the recent radio silence is that I've been in discussions with a partner to provide financial assistance to finally bite the bullet and hire full-time staff (in addition to just myself) to help get it out the door once. Once the deal is done and I'm contractually allowed to talk about it we'll fill you in on the details.
For anyone who's no longer interested in waiting I have no problem offering a refund of your contribution via PayPal. (As an aside, if I were a charlatan then I'm obviously not a very good one, having cashed out my retirement to pay for development!)
- Jon

Can you provide a link and indication to whereabouts on the page this (or other messages) appear? I am seeing nothing remotely recent on the kickstarter page. I do wonder why he is not posting the message here? Perhaps he is embarrassed about his lack of posting this year, and can't bring himself to begin again until he has things back on track.

Thanks for the update Jon. Great to hear AtG will be out soon--I stopped playing for a few months but can't wait to get into it again. It's a special game!

He doesn't actually say the game will be out soon, he says they are dedicated to finishing the game. I don't say that to be a naysayer, just to say don't get carried away. I agree though, it's a special game.

Jon

If no one has been hired, then how was the 100,000 spent? Why did you continually refer to "the team" when that was clearly a lie?

He said he is the only full-time member of staff, not the only person who has been working on the game. Though given the almost complete lack of communication over much of this year I can't blame you for being annoyed or sceptical about any claims he makes (if indeed this is an actual statement by Jon, and not just the wishful thinking of Dtolman  ;D).

I personally believe that Jon is trying to make the game a reality, and I love what he has created so far, but the paucity of communication from him this year is not on. It seems like the behaviour of someone in denial about the problems they are having and not wanting to be frank about it. Ultimately to finish the project he doesn't need to communicate to us, rather he needs to concentrate on getting more man hours other than his own sunk into the work, but to almost stop giving information quite early on in 2016 (a few months ago he pledged to remedy the lack of communication, which he has failed to do) was unnecessary. I can't say I have very strong feelings about it, I am just a little disappointed and it has made me a bit pessimistic about the future of the project.

It must be very stressful to be in this situation and I imagine that, at the moment of writing of his intentions to communicate and update more frequently this year, he was sincere, but that it was much more of an expression of his wishes than a plausible plan. In an ideal world he would have plainly said that he was doing all or the vast majority of the work himself (presuming there have still been some part time staff assisting him this year) and that until he could come up with a bigger team the game's progress (and his communication) would be far slower, but being honest with yourself when things aren't going as you'd hoped, never mind the rest of the world, can be difficult sometimes. Presumably he has struggled over the last year to decide what he needed to do to get the game's progress back up to speed; hopefully this deal he is apparently trying to secure will be successful and prove to be a turning point in the project.

I don't know if he has either the time or the inclination to read the forum, but if you are reading this Jon, please communicate with us here whether the situation is good or bad, and above all don't let the difficulties with the project and our complaints here cause you too much stress. Ultimately, not getting the game would be no more than a small annoyance for any of your customers, but obviously it is financially and professionally important to you.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:24:20 PM by danangleland »
  • VERSION:  Humble
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 8.1
  • SYSTEM LANGUAGE: UK English
  • CPU: Intel i5-3470 @3.20GHz Quad Core
  • VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 660 2GB
  • SCREEN RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »
The game will never be complete as long as Jon is in charge.  He's the creative type with no understanding of structure. No detail is too small no Amount of time too much

Until someone with good management and communication skills takes charge, this will simply continue to spin in circles until he gives up and closes down the project