Author Topic: This game isn't coming out.  (Read 7180 times)

This game isn't coming out.
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
Hopelessly delayed, communications blackout for months followed by a 3000 word post from the shafer that boils down to nothing substantial, funds expended but hoping for jan 2017 release (3 years later)

This is a dead game. 

Maybe I'm biased (I am) because shafer ruined civ with civ5, but I acually had high hope for this game until he completely shit the bed.... again

Turns out making a game isn't as easy as he expected, maybe he should have thought about that before taking folks money and throwing it into the game dev fire

Re: This game isn't coming out.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »
Making a game is pretty hard, it's true.

Guess we'll have to wait for the update to see what's going on.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
Civ 5 vanilla scaled back in complexity certainly to civ 4  complete but it took a much needed step in limiting units per tile so terrain mattered.

Hopefully Jon will have an update out for us shortly, but even though the length between updates can be tiring he always delivers good information.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
well, Im perfectlz happy waiting for a better product.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »
Nope, not going to buy it now, for sure.

I found Jon's podcast a few weeks ago.
Very excited to hear him talk about developing the game.
That motivated me to buy the game.  And Jon seems like a genuine guy.
But then I came to this forum, and yikes.

I still have hope, though.  I wish Jon all the luck.
But for now, I'll keep my money.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:18 PM »
It's an indie game being developed by a single full-time person.

You can read his last update here: Road to Release

It is what it is. Hopefully, we'll hear more when he gets a chance to provide a new update.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 02:26:02 AM »
The fun i had with
The game as is is good for the cost. And when it finalizes it will be great.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
I get its an indie game by a one man dev team, and i understand the delays, but what is not excusable is the huge gaps in communication.  This seems to be a reoccuring theme.  These people donated money to fund this game, its pretty disrespectful to leave them completely in the dark for months at a time.

I have also been following kickstarted 4x space game MORE and while their dev process has been mirroring jons in terms of huge delays, their main dev has been good about staying in communication.  It only takes a minute to say "still working on it"

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:18:08 AM »
Well, that I can agree with that little communication is better then no comm.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
So how does this work on Kickstarter? Do people get their money back?

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
So how does this work on Kickstarter? Do people get their money back?

Kickstarter can't do anything about getting your money back once a project has been pledge to and succeeds in hitting its goal. Unfortunately, unless Jon comes through on his end to complete ATG, you don't get anything back for your trouble.

It's one of the risks you take by being a Backer - if the Creator can't follow through on achieving his goal, then you get nothing; or you get less then what you desired which is entirely preferable to nothing at this point......
Doing Let's Plays primarily featuring Roguelikes, Strategy, Adventure, First Person Shooter, and Indie.

Visit my YouTube Channel at DFuxa Plays on YouTube for pending At The Gates Let's Plays.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
After Civ 5 I imagine John Shafer could have gone to lots of companies and made more civ-style 4x games. Instead he went out on his own and created something unique and special in ATG. We are all lucky that he actually cares enough about his craft that he took this risk. ATG in its current form is an awesome accomplishment--it is easily one of the best strategy games of the past few years.

I need to go make some parchment.

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
Update
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
Hey all, apologies for the lengthy radio silence. I've been dealing with some health issues the past few months and had to take some time off. I'm back in the saddle as of today though, so no need to worry about whether the game will be finished or not - you should start seeing updates to the game again next week!

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »
Jon,

Great to hear, glad you are doing/feeling better. Can't wait to hear from you.