Author Topic: Gameranx interview offers a new look into AtG's development  (Read 2026 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Barbarian Politics
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:36:10 PM »
"Unlike other 4X games, At The Gates is played from the perspective of the Barbarians, eschewing the typical empire-building in favor of a more nomadic-style pursuit of victory. Was this inspired at all by Civilization and its use of raiding Barbarian camps? As I read up on At The Gates, I felt myself lamenting that Civ 5 does not have a mode that allows you to go against city states and civs as a Barbarian camp/unit"

I thought this was an intriguing question in several ways... it not only asks you what was the deepest inspiration for At the Gates, but... I sorta saw it as attempting to ascertain how deeply games criticism feeds back ideas to game developers? (Even if unintentionally)
Modern games criticism has often tried to extract political thinking from game mechanics and narratives, and one point that I've seen argued is how one-dimensional barbarians often are - often, all you can do is destroy them, and that could say something about how (e.g. western) society views nomadic peoples and such in its art.

Political focuses aside, Jon, have you looked into diversifying Bandits in the future, given how they work pretty much like Civ's Barbarians? It's looking like it's turtles all the way down, and probably the Bandits have their own Bandits to bother them.  :P
Steam
Linux Mint 17.1, 64 bit
English (American)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 4GB Ram
GeForce GTX 460
1920x1800 res, running at 1800x1000 windowed

Re: Gameranx interview offers a new look into AtG's development
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 05:42:39 AM »
Hi Jon

On the bandits, I love that you've included the mechanism of disguising your troops. However, it also felt like a cheap tactic - have you thought about the disguise / un-disguise taking effect at the start of your next turn rather than on your current turn to lessen its power?

Then again, maybe I'm over valuing the power of this ability...

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
its nice to see that you're posting to your site and ignoring us KS backers as per usual.  Thanks again

Creator Jon Shafer on May 13 

Hey all, apologies for the lengthy radio silence. I've been dealing with some health issues the past few months and had to take some time off. I'm back in the saddle as of today though, so no need to worry about whether the game will be finished or not - you should start seeing updates to the game again next week!

- Jon

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
Which site is he posting to? These posts are old. I tried reaching him on twitters and mails no luck. Anyone got anything new?