Author Topic: Progress Updates  (Read 22930 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
April 28 Progress Update
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
April 28 Progress Update

Been super busy the past week fleshing out UI features like intra-string tag-based formatting, procedural tooltips, localization support, etc. While most of the new stuff is, well, boring and technical there are a few exceptions: one especially cool addition is a hotkey guide that is displayed while holding down the [Alt] key.

If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
May 8 Progress Update
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
May 8 Progress Update

Bunch more UI goodies, including on-map tooltips and a localization system that opens the door to the possibility of making non-English versions of AtG.
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
May 18 Progress Update
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
May 18 Progress Update

New UI is (finally) almost fully armed and operational! Updating all of the game's enormous amount of text to work under the new format took a while.

Re: Progress Updates
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »
Nice. Well done. I like it when games are playable in numerous languages.

I imagine your work must sometimes be difficult. Having to sit at a computer for hours on end staring at UIs and code takes some serious patience and self control.

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
Nice. Well done. I like it when games are playable in numerous languages.

Totally agree. There's obviously a ton of strategy fans outside the US/UK/Canada/AusZealand and even though many of them speak English in addition to their native tongue having the game available in both is not just nice but also helps show that you respect and value their support. We have a pretty small budget so I can't make any promises regarding official non-English versions of AtG, but at the very least it will be possible for modders to pick up that torch and run with it.

I imagine your work must sometimes be difficult. Having to sit at a computer for hours on end staring at UIs and code takes some serious patience and self control.

Thanks for your kind words sir! It's definitely a tough gig, but the fact that I'm, you know, making the kind of games I love while also pushing the envelope makes it all worth it and then some. I can't lie though, I think I was just lucky enough to be born with a "UI gene" of some kind. Most devs really do dread this kind of work but I've always loved it. I'll tell you what though, having high standards on the UI front makes it tough to play other games though! Hehe.

- Jon

P.S. Apologies for the lack of updates recently. I've spent much of the past month dealing with some important non-work stuff and on top of that I was out of the office for a week. Now back in the saddle though, so expect a lot of news regarding what we're up to and a hefty update and video showing off all of the cool new UI stuff we just wrapped up!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
June 8 Progress Update
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
June 8 Progress Update

Spent the past few days making tweaks to improve the pacing of the early game (e.g. increasing the number of deposits near starting locations and reducing the research cost of Tier 2 professions).

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
June 11 Progress Update
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
June 11 Progress Update

Spent the last couple days working on the look of the paper 'fog of war' (screenshots coming soon).

Will now be shifting over to the economic AI in earnest, which was actually in pretty decent shape a while ago but later thrown into disarray when we ripped out the game's economic guts and replaced them with the clans system.

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Working on a new written+video update detailing AtG's revolutionary user interface. Should be up later this week or early next!

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
halo, and what's this long silence?

when will the new video?

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 05:37:40 AM »
Hi Jon

I like where this is going, looking forward to your next video play through

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
The big UI update is finally up! And it truly is a massive one too, hopefully worth the wait.

Regardless, my apologies for the lengthy delay in getting this one posted. I underestimated how much work it would actually take to put this behemoth together (over 5000 words!), and that coupled with some unexpected travel ultimately led to my original timetable plunging off the tracks... and then into one of those picturesque alpine chasms.

In any case, thanks again for your patience everyone, and as always I'm happy to answer questions so don't be shy if there's anything you're curious or confused about!

- Jon

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
August 3 Progress Update
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
August 3 Progress Update

Just wrapped up the finalized 'blueprint' for AtG's Economic AI. Next? Actually bringing it to life with code!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
Relocation + More Updates Coming Soon!
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »
Hey all, apologies for going dark over the past few weeks - Conifer HQ had to relocate on short notice and we're now finally getting settled back in. In case you're wondering we're now based out of Maryland, a place that very well might be the 'capital' of hardcore strategy game development. Not only that, but we happen to now be working out of the same office as our friends and brothers-in-strategy Stardock Baltimore, Oxide Games, and Mohawk Games!

As for the game, a new update detailing the production side (schedule, budget, etc.) of AtG's development will be going up in the next few weeks, so hang tight!

- Jon

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
October 16 Progress Update
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
October 16 Progress Update

Just posted a new alpha build featuring 'weekly challenge' games, ala Spelunky!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
October 20 Update
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »
October 20 Update:

Weekly Challenge #1 (titled "Fame & Fecundity") has begun! In this inaugural game whoever owns the most clans on turn 100 will be declared the winner. Everyone who enters a challenge can earn forum 'badges', and each winner receives a cool reward, and the top prize this time around is an autographed box copy! Additional details for this challenge specifically along with the whole concept generally can be found in a new subforum for the private alpha test group.

While challenges are only available to members of the private alpha right now our goal is to build them into a major post-release feature. Monthly challenges have long been popular within the Civ community, but a lack of in-game support has always limited their audience. Another feature that should help AtG stand out on this front is built-in support for goals and rules differing from challenge to challenge. This was originally envisioned as only a design tool, but it turned out to be a plus for players as well because it pushes you to try out new strategies that you might otherwise have never given a shot.

(Oh, and I should probably also mention that sound effects finally work on Mac and Linux as of the latest build! Found a nasty threading bug in a third party audio library… #$@%!)

- Jon