Author Topic: 2013 June 20 - Art and Sound Update + Download Instructions  (Read 9666 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
Hey guys, time again to provide a quick update regarding recent news and progress. Most of our updates have skewed heavily on the design and theory side, so this time we'll be delving into the more artistic ends of the project.

Early next week I'll also be posting our massive outline for the general design principles behind every AI subsystem. I was originally planning on including that with this post, but the length was starting to get a little crazy so I decided to hold off and split things up.

Unit Animations

The team has started on the rough animation work for the units. These will eventually be painted over, but I figured you guys would enjoy a little sneak peak.

The schedule and budget call for around 180 unique unit animations which run the gamut from running to fighting to dying. We're starting with the run cycles.

Audio

We've had an audio intern on board the past couple months and he's been helping produce some great sound effects.

One of the ways we're using sound is instilling even more life to the changing of the seasons. I've uploaded the ambiance tracks for spring and autumn, so give 'em a listen. You might need to turn down your volume to get a proper feel, as these pieces will only be just loud enough to help create a mood.

Leaders

We're doing concept sketches for all of the leaders before any more full paintings are finished, just to make sure every character is sufficiently unique from one another. We have about half of the concepts done, and I've included a couple here.

Is anyone able to identify either of these fascinating gentlemen?

Steam

On the programming front, we've now hooked the Steam overlay into At the Gates. This is completely optional and won't be required to play the early builds nor the final release, but I know many PC gamers prefer having everything in one place.

When the time comes, if you've bought the game the option to claim a Steam key will appear on your Humble account page. I'm expecting this to be available right when alpha testing begins, but I can't make any guarantees just yet.

Where, When and How to Download the Game

We recently finished the migration of At the Gates over to Humble's system. The biggest perk of this is the ability to easily manage builds, but it also means we're now able to start officially accepting pre-orders, so go tell all your friends!

Everyone that has contributed to the game via Kickstarter or PayPal should now be able to access their download page for AtG by going to Humble's key resender and entering the email address associated with your Kickstarter (or PayPal) account. This page is where new versions of the game will be posted, so it's definitely an address you'll want to bookmark.

The plan is to start alpha testing in a couple months, and to officially release the game during the third quarter of 2014 (July/August/September). Of course, our #1 priority is making the best game possible, so there's always a chance we need to push that back. If we do move dates around I'll make sure you know as soon as I do.

Alright, that's it for today - look forward to some AI fun next week!

- Jon

Official AtG Website | 'Like' us on Facebook | Conifer Twitter
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Re: 2013 June 20 - Art and Sound Update + Download Instructions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
Going to be a long 12+ months but as long as you don't pull a Duke Nukem I think it will be fine.
Doing Let's Plays primarily featuring Roguelikes, Strategy, Adventure, First Person Shooter, and Indie.

Visit my YouTube Channel at DFuxa Plays on YouTube for pending At The Gates Let's Plays.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
The spring ambiance sounds really good but what is with the white noise (is it meant to be running water, or perhaps winds) in the autumn file?  I don't like...

Looking forward to next week.   :)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @2.00 Ghz
2Gb RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility HD3400 with 512 Mb RAM
Humble Bundler

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Alaric and Theoderic?
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
The spring ambiance sounds really good but what is with the white noise (is it meant to be running water, or perhaps winds) in the autumn file?  I don't like...

Wind. I asked our sound intern to make it very even so that it isn't distracting, but that even-ness might also result in it being a little hard to distinguish. We'll play around with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Alaric and Theoderic?

Good guesses, but nope.

One of the leaders happily resided in (or invited himself into) the very backyard of the Roman Empire, whereas the other lived at its very edge.

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
Well he does look Celtic. I'm not sure who though.
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »
Well he does look Celtic. I'm not sure who though.

He's not someone we have a lot of (any?) historical information on, but he's probably the best known Celtic leader from this era.

- Jon

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:15:11 AM »
Best known? Arthur?

Geiseric? I'm not sure where exactly Rome's backyard is...but the Vandals resided in many of them.
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:35:33 PM »
Best known? Arthur?

Woops... except for him. :) Guess this guy might be a bit more obscure than I thought. I'll give you a hint: he's the leader of the Picts.

Geiseric? I'm not sure where exactly Rome's backyard is...but the Vandals resided in many of them.

By backyard I mean backyard. Or hell, maybe inside the house.

- Jon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
Is that a skull cup I see ?
  • Hardware: AMD Phenom X4, 8Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce 560 @ 1680x1050

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »
Is that a skull cup I see ?

Yep!

- Jon