Author Topic: Other Games Similar to AtG?  (Read 27702 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
Other Games Similar to AtG?
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
Do you guys have any suggestions for titles that are similar to AtG, or simply include one of its prominent features? These can be computer games, board games, etc. The goal of this thread is partially to help give the dev team new research material, but also to give everyone else suggestions for games that could occupy their time while we're working on the game. :)

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Re: Other Games Similar to AtG?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
I suppose the closest game that may come off similar to At the Gates is Rome: Total War: Barbarian Invasion. The expansion of Rome: Total War is set in the same time frame as At the Gates and covers decline of the Roman Empire - East and West, the great migration of the Barbarian Castes from the Steppes as well as the religious tensions between the infant Christianity, the every prevalent Paganism, and Zoroastrianism.

The game allows you to play a number of the Barbarian Factions or as either the Eastern or Western Roman Empires. Barbarian Nations can also form hordes when the last province they are in falls. Hordes work in a similar nature to how everything always works in At the Gates but primarily the indicate that Barbarians have been displaced from their home.
Doing Let's Plays primarily featuring Roguelikes, Strategy, Adventure, First Person Shooter, and Indie.

Visit my YouTube Channel at DFuxa Plays on YouTube for pending At The Gates Let's Plays.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:01:45 AM »
Although I haven't played it yet, I've heard of Fall of Rome (www.fallofromegame.com). Looks interesting and might be useful to look at if only for the fun of it.
Steam
Windows Home Premium 7 -64 bit + SP1 (English)
Intel i5 Quad Core 3.2 GHz
6 GB RAM
AMD R9 270 2GB
1600x900

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
I suppose the closest game that may come off similar to At the Gates is Rome: Total War: Barbarian Invasion. The expansion of Rome: Total War is set in the same time frame as At the Gates and covers decline of the Roman Empire - East and West, the great migration of the Barbarian Castes from the Steppes as well as the religious tensions between the infant Christianity, the every prevalent Paganism, and Zoroastrianism.

The game allows you to play a number of the Barbarian Factions or as either the Eastern or Western Roman Empires. Barbarian Nations can also form hordes when the last province they are in falls. Hordes work in a similar nature to how everything always works in At the Gates but primarily the indicate that Barbarians have been displaced from their home.

To what extent was Barbarian Invasion just an expansion of RTW vs. being it's own game that really captured the feel of the decline era?

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
Although I haven't played it yet, I've heard of Fall of Rome (www.fallofromegame.com). Looks interesting and might be useful to look at if only for the fun of it.

Very interesting... hadn't even heard of that one before.

Poked around a bit, and it doesn't give off a great first impression. It's clearly not a single-sale game, and you basically have to give them your social security number and first born just to "sign up" - and that doesn't mean you actually even get to play. Maybe one of my loyal and awesome fans can jump on that sword and see what's inside? ;)

- Jon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »
To what extent was Barbarian Invasion just an expansion of RTW vs. being it's own game that really captured the feel of the decline era?

- Jon

Essentially Barbarian Invasion had you taking a faction (Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire, Huns, Goths, Vandals, Sarmatians, Saxons, Franks, Alemanni, Sassanids) and attempting to achieve its victory goals. Victory Goals are pretty well based on objectives concerning holding specific provinces and total territory acquirement. Of course, how you go about achieving those Victory Conditions is up to you. The Gameplay is pretty well similar to Rome: Total War with the added feature of Barbarian Hordes.

The Barbarian Hordes were meant to symbolizes the uprooting of Barbarians and Nomadic tribes as they lose their home provinces and the marching of the Huns on Europe. However when the Horde captures a province they go back to being static empires again. Pretty well the game attempts to convey the feelings of the time period by customizing each of the factions to their historical counterparts; while keeping true to the Total War game mechanics.

All in all it was its own game in its own right with Rome: Total War popped into the title.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:35:03 PM by Davion Fuxa »
Doing Let's Plays primarily featuring Roguelikes, Strategy, Adventure, First Person Shooter, and Indie.

Visit my YouTube Channel at DFuxa Plays on YouTube for pending At The Gates Let's Plays.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Europa Universalis Rome....excellent game, although different timeframe to AtG (focuses on birth of the Empire 280BC-27BC). It also provides more of a strategic/diplomatic challenge than Rome: Total War (which I do also love)

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »
Bit late, but here are some board games that have the same theme (barbarians trying to take down Rome)
I've never played them personally - but here are the boardgamegeek links:
-Catan Histories: Struggle For Rome
BGG Entry: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25234/struggle-for-rome
Modified Settlers rules where players control tribes attacking Rome. Gain points for looting, conquering cities. Can win through points, or gaining the title of successor of Rome.

-Lest Darkness Fall: Rome in Crisis 235-285 AD
BGG entry:http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22176/lest-darkness-fall-rome-in-crisis-ad-235-285
Game Rules: http://strategyandtacticspress.com/images/File/LDF_eRules.zip
One player plays the Empire, the other the barbarian forces. "In general, the Germano-Parthian player is attempting to invade the Roman Empire so as to overturn the territorial integrity of its core area or reach and loot Rome/Ostia.

-Barbarian, Kingdom, and Empire
BGG Entry: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2641/barbarian-kingdom-empire
"Players represent barbarian hordes who sweep down from the steppes to overwhelm the remnants of the Roman Empire and then build strong expansionistic kingdoms among the ruins. These kingdoms grow into empires which become rich, corrupt, and the target of new waves of barbarian invaders. Being defeated is not the end of the game, as players may return to the fringes of civilization to amass a new horde of Huns or Germans. The unique play mechanism allows players to enter or exit at any time without disrupting the play or the victory conditions"

-Ultimus Romanorum - the fall of rome
BGG Entry:http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30264/ultimus-romanorum-la-chute-de-rome
Wargame covering the fall of the roman empire. Seems to go for VPs based around territorial integrity and the status of the leaderships of rome.

There are other games on BGG where you try as a barbarian to overthrow Rome, but have no rules posted/available, so did not post them.
Humble
Windows 7  Pro SP1
English-US
i7-4770 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB Ram
GTX 750ti
1920 x1080

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
Has someone mentioned 'Decline and Fall'? I played that some time around when it was released (1972). I'm that old :P
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Here are a few games that are similar to the ATG

http://www.ageod.com/uk/2-jeux-ageod

Ellestar

• Knowledge is Power
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »
Maybe Emperor of the Fading Suns? It's a science fiction 4X, but i think it has the same feeling of decline of a great empire. You control one of the Great Houses that tries to unite it back.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 02:52:29 AM »
I am not sure if this has been mentioned. It's by the man who made Europa Universalis I.

The game is called Great invasions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Invasions
"We, the most distant dwellers upon the earth, the last of the free, have been shielded...by our remoteness and by the obscurity which has shrouded our name...Beyond us lies no nation, nothing but waves and rocks"    Calgacus

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 03:04:27 AM »
Maybe Emperor of the Fading Suns? It's a science fiction 4X, but i think it has the same feeling of decline of a great empire. You control one of the Great Houses that tries to unite it back.

Wow, that is an oldie but a goodie. Not many will have played it, but the setting and game play were terrific.
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

Stratos

• Strategy games 4ever
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
Do you guys have any suggestions for titles that are similar to AtG, or simply include one of its prominent features? These can be computer games, board games, etc. The goal of this thread is partially to help give the dev team new research material, but also to give everyone else suggestions for games that could occupy their time while we're working on the game. :)

- Jon

A few days ago I downloaded a game called "Strategy Rome in Flames". It's available for android cell phones and tablets. I read that it will be released soon for iOS too.

You play as one of two barbarian tribes invading the Roman empire in 400 AD. Anglo-Saxons invading Britain and the Visigoths invading Italy and conquering the city of Rome.
When I play I start with an army and I can't build more units so I have to be careful not to loose any units. It's a challenge to keep all alive. Wagon trains move along with the barbarian units and nearby units can be reinforced.

Here is a youtube clip from the developers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtzfcYQ7FdU

Here is a a screenshot of the Anglo-Saxon barbarians from the developers website:

Link to a demo on Google Play:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rexopax.romeinflamesFREE

Developers website if anyone wants more info:
http://www.rexopax.com
Since I have read a few threads on mobile gaming I can recommend a free iphone/android mobile game called:
Strategy Rome in Flames
Google Play
App Store

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
The diplomacy update reminds me a lot of The Last Federation. The setting and genre are totally dissimilar (sci-fi shoot-em-up) but the main feature of the game besides the battles is thinking about how to manipulate the relationships between the different factions, each with their unique personalities, strengths and weaknesses on the geopolitical theatre. For example, getting the peaceful factions to like one another and join your eponymous Federation is easy enough, but the warlike factions tend to much more useful to you and regularly beat up on the peaceful factions.