Author Topic: Stats! Tell me about the stats!!!  (Read 2533 times)

Stats! Tell me about the stats!!!
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »
Maybe I missed it somewhere but I want to know what kind of stats make up the barbarian kings.  Are they made up of categories such as combat ability, diplomacy ability, supply conservation ability and what not?  Also, will there be generals/subordinates that lead the armies?  Thanks!

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
Re: Stats! Tell me about the stats!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
Most of the faction abilities have yet to be designed, but I do have a few ideas in mind. A couple of the Germanic tribes will get bonuses relating to supply in the winter. The one I'm most excited about is the possibility that the Huns can't actually own any fixed structures of any kind, even Farms - meaning they have to stay on the move constantly and keep pillaging everything in sight.

Other suggestions also welcome! :)

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
Maybe the vandals can move their settlements at double speed? Alternatively, some other bonus that somehow provides them an incentive to keep moving.
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »
Great idea Hunter. Definitely would like to work that into the game somehow. I'm thinking the Huns will also be very mobile, so we'll have to find ways to differentiate one "fast-moving faction" from all the others.

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »
I'd like to see pillaging more viable than as a 'resources now' option of the last resort.  We are barbarians after all.  Perhaps it would become a more balanced choice if there was a chance (dictated by distance to nearest settlement?) that resources would not arrive from mines each turn.  Then at times it would be by far the best option to pillage a distant resource node.

And, yes, some of us like some randomness.  ;D
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @2.00 Ghz
2Gb RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility HD3400 with 512 Mb RAM
Humble Bundler

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:59:45 PM »
Don't get your hopes up for too much randomness ending up in ATG. ;)

That having been said, I agree, it should be a strategic choice. I've been thinking about ways that players can build strategies around pillaging. Certainly, some factions will derive more benefit from it than others, and there will probably be Romanization Perks that tie in as well. You'll be faced with resource shortages quite a bit though, so even with the game as it's designed currently you might have to pillage more often than you'd really like to!

- Jon

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:29 AM »
That's ok it was just a random thought.  :D

Seriously though having some unpredictability in resource supply appeals to me.  It's already there with food when the seasons aren't kind...

Perhaps (some?) resources are only delivered if the resource node would be deemed to be in supply from a settlement, but their exhaustion increments regardless?  (Supply varying according to seasonal effects.)  Then migrating your settlements becomes problematic.  Too quick and you leave resources behind you might have otherwise had use of.  Too slow and you don't get to the new greener pastures fast enough. 

A mechanic like this cannot be easily 'gamed' either since there is a variability to the seaons.  The best you can do is play the probabilities.  In terms of choices there would be cases where it is not clear whether to pillage or not.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @2.00 Ghz
2Gb RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility HD3400 with 512 Mb RAM
Humble Bundler