Author Topic: 2013 Strategy Games You're Looking Forward To?  (Read 9626 times)

Jon Shafer

• Lord of the Forest
2013 Strategy Games You're Looking Forward To?
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
Alas, as you all know AtG won't be out for a while! So what games do you guys expect will occupy your 2013 strategy gaming time?

I'm going to be pretty busy playtesting, iterating and programming for the next year and a half, so I probably won't have a ton of opportunities to play. Well, at least for fun! There's still a couple I'm anxious to get my hands on though. Namely, Company of Heroes 2 and (of course!) Rome Total War 2. I was a huge CoH fan and played a game with the Civ 5 team almost every day for a couple years. [In fact, Dirk and I just talked about it on the most recent episode of our podcast!]

It might come as a surprise, but my experience with RTW is pretty limited. Aside from CoH I've never been a big RTS fan (my brain works too slowly), and my minor forays into the historical genre are mainly limited to the Paradox games. Even so, I'm curious to see what Creative Assembly does with RTW2, and especially how it compares with what we're doing in AtG!

- Jon
If you have any questions, please send me a private message here on the forums or an email at [Contact@ConiferGames.com]. Thanks for your support!

Re: 2013 Strategy Games You're Looking Forward To?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »
Xenonauts; a promising indie Xcom remake, that is more on the simulation (TU, random maps, variable soldier stats etc) side of things. I loved Xcom EU, and getting the same drug in a different way will be great. After playing some of the builds they have put out I can see this game really building on that feeling the original game had so long ago.
http://www.xenonauts.com/

Wasteland 2; a very successful kickstarter plus the fact they are using unity to develop gives me high hopes for them to deliver on the awesome vision they have outlined. If you watch their latest game play video you see a basically finished game that just needs content (a lot of content).
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/blog/

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:17 AM »
RTWII - TW games are usually unplayable out of the box, but I mod them to be more historically accurate and to slow the progress of tactical battles in a fashion that gives them a consistent figure and ground scale. The tactical engines and strategic gameplay is normally excellent (with modding).

AOW3 - A classic TBS game re-done using Minecraft money

Eador:MOTBW - A surprisingly good HOMM clone, with more knobs and well balanced

X-COM - Further expansions and additions

Civ V expansion

Unwritten - Kickstarted TB strategy with some twists

Chaos Chronicles - Kickstarted TB RPG with modern graphics

E:FE improvements. It still isn't quite the game it could be
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:19:30 AM by Hunter »
  • Steam
  • Windows 7 HP, SP1
  • English (Australia)
  • i7 2.67Ghz, 64
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • 1920x1080

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »
Really looking forward to Eador: Masters of the Broken World myself and participated in the first beta round recently.  They should be starting the second beta round any day now.  The previous Eador: Genesis that was just released for English fairly recently and available at GoG has been quite a gem in the rough so to speak.

AOW3 looks really promising and it seems some of the design changes they are talking about will help me enjoy it more.  For some reason, the first AOWs never clicked with me the way many others have.  I am still quite sure I will be in on day one, though.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
A few of the ones already mentioned here - Unwritten, Wasteland 2, Eador...

the main one though, that I'm surprised no one else mentioned, and maybe it's because I'm a Paradox junkie is Europa Universalis 4.

I've never gotten into the TW games. I like the grand strategy part well enough, but the RTS portions have always been pretty snoozeworthy to me.

Editing to add CK2: The Old Gods. I've been wanting a pagan answer to Sword of Islam, and this may not scratch all the itches since it focuses on the Norse as opposed to the Romuva/Tengri/Suomenusko but still, who doesn't like vikings these days?

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Europa Universalis 4 is game i am looking forward most
second would Rome TW 2 and third Old Gods expansion for CK2

i used to be big turn based strategy fan ... but then i discovered Paradox's grand strategy games :)

Eleima

• Geek Goddess
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:54:47 AM »
Can I still say Civ 5's Gods and Kings expansion?  Even though it's been released for a while and I got it back in January, I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet.  But yeah, definitely looking forward to that expansion.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:37 PM »
For myself, it'll be a HUGE year of play-testing alpha/betas.  As well as ATG, I have a strategy game in development, A New World, which I'll be play testing a lot.

As well as these two games, I'm looking forward to EU4.
  • Steam
  • Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10
  • Intel i5
  • 4 GB RAM

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »
I'm very anxious to get Age of Wonders 3 and some Kickstarter projects like Predestination and ATG alpha.   

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
Age of Wonders....3?!?  :o

Mostly I'm looking forward to getting into the Alpha for AtG as its the only strategy game I'm following.  Should be really fun trying to break it :)
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Intel i7-3930K 6-Core @ 3.20 GHz
16 GB RAM
PCIe SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
AtG Steam Version

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Europa Universalis 4 is game i am looking forward most
second would Rome TW 2 and third Old Gods expansion for CK2

i used to be big turn based strategy fan ... but then i discovered Paradox's grand strategy games :)

Paradox games are always so horrifically buggy and broken when they're first released, but I don't see how that's going to stop me from buying EU4 immediately upon release.

There's also a cold war game coming out from Paradox as well. I'm not sure how fun it will be, but again...

I think I've finally broken my current Civ V fixation after playing through a few games on G&K, but if there's another Civ expansion around the corner, I'm sure that'll spark my interest again.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
I think I've finally broken my current Civ V fixation after playing through a few games on G&K, but if there's another Civ expansion around the corner, I'm sure that'll spark my interest again.

There is no "if"... the next Civ V Expansion: Brave New World is coming... Summer 2013. It'll focus on the end game and add a bunch of civs, wonders, units, and features.
Steam
Windows Home Premium 7 -64 bit + SP1 (English)
Intel i5 Quad Core 3.2 GHz
6 GB RAM
AMD R9 270 2GB
1600x900

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »
I'm looking forward to the new Civ V expansion and the Old Gods DLC for CK2.  Eador looks really cool. 

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
Also if there are any here not familiar with Stardock games, I just started the beta for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and it is so far fantastic. 4X strategy with RPG elements and heroes in a fantasy world. 

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 07:28:43 AM »
Civ 4 Caveman 2 Cosmos v30 as in my opinion they put more into each new version of this mod as some developer put into a DLC/AddOn.